One of the objectives of the European Union is to eliminate inequalities and to promote equality between men and women in all its activities. The European Commission actively promotes gender equality in science, and participation of women in all scientific disciplines, and has set a target of “40% participation of women at all levels in implementing and managing research programmes”. In 2005, 28% of all researchers in the EU-25 were women, and their participation in advisory groups and programme committees in FP6 was 27% and 26% respectively.
The NanoLyse consortium greatly values strong involvement of women in the project, both in research and in management activities. Of the 12 work package leaders and deputies, 2 are women (17%), 25% (2) of the project management board are women and of the scientific staff involved in the project, 30% are women.
Gender statistics on the personnel employed by the project will be collected periodically in order to monitor the status of women in the project and the progress made regarding gender balance during the course of the project.
The work performed in the NanoLyse project is highly technological in nature, and women are actively encouraged to participate and expand their scientific expertise and perspective. The consortium aims to continually stimulate and facilitate female participation and contribution throughout the project, and will use this gender management strategy document to set goals and establish procedures for monitoring female participation.
The NanoLyse consortium has appointed a gender counsellor (Dr. Monika Tomaniova, VSCHT, Czech Republic) who reports directly to the coordinator and the Project Management Board (PMB), and has the following responsibilities:
· Make gender issues a priority with the NanoLyse Project Management Board, ensuring equal opportunities for females in the project;
· Support the interests of female participants, including work-life balance, equal opportunity and stimulating career opportunities. In case of gender related disputes the gender counsellor can intervene and take appropriate action via the coordinator.
· Be available for confidential advice to participants on gender matters.
· Keep track of gender statistics within the project.
· Present current gender issues and statistics during Full Consortium meetings.
Contact to NanoLyse gender counsellor: [email protected]